Saturday, October 29, 2011

Painting

Received a letter last week to say my painting was accepted for the Prospect Portrait Prize so I was very pleased indeed but then had to write an artist statement and I didn't do a very good job of that.
I looked up examples of other artist statements and also how to write an artist statement but in the end I wrote only a small piece about the work.

Detail 

It is as follows:-

"Becoming Pierrot"
This allegorical work gives the viewer clues to the painting's meaning.
The rusty iron bar and the orange twine holding a small wax figure are all part of the puzzle as are the brushes and tools held in an arthritic hand,her ear plugs and hair covering.
The artist has deliberately tried to mask her feelings by holding her gaze at the viewer behind her "Pierrot" mask but the tear allows the mask to slip a little, spoiling her image.

Any comments would be gratefully received by me. There is a preview of the painting in a previous post.

On another note, I was bush walking earlier in the week and took my camera with me to record some of the wildflowers and now that i have a book on wildflowers, thanks to Tanya,
I can now look them up and give their correct botanical name, more next week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog