Tuesday, September 14, 2010

More Trailwalking

Since last post, Cathy, a regular training friend, and I, set out on a training walk from a lookout called "Eagle on the Hill" to on the southern slopes of the Mt Lofty Ranges to Ambers Gully on the northern side, a distance of 42 km which took us 8 hours 5 minutes to complete. Although it did not rain, the track was still rather wet with all the rain we have had over the last several weeks.The creeks were full and swollen and the waterfalls were lovely with water spilling over them.

It is actually quite wonderful to have all the heavy rain as our state has been in drought for about 10 years. and the state has had to build a desalination plant to ensure that we do not run out of water.
The walk took in three quarters of the Yurrebilla Trail which traverses Cleland Conservation Park, just below Mt Lofty (our tallest mountain at 711m) through to the very steep Horsnell Gully Conservation Park on to Norton Summit where we stopped for a coffee at lunch time. We then headed down the steep trail into Morialta Conservation park where I couldn't resist taking a couple of photos of the waterfalls and where we met a visitor to Australia from Switzerland.
We then carried on out of Morialta across to Black Hill Conservation Park where we climb straight up to the summit at 467m and cross back down to Ambers Gully.
We were happy with our effort but also glad to be finished for the day.

John and I went up to Kangaroo creek dam to see the spillway open for the first time in nine years and drove back through Cuddly Creek where we had a lovely lunch at Babette's cafe( one of the girls from our group of trailwalkers) .I was impressed to see her two certificates from walking (running)100km in 23hrs and 24hrs.
I hope I might be able to try a 100km event next year, if I keep the training up.

Monday I took myself for a mixture of walking and jogging up our local hill reserve. The wildflowers are out and are beautiful. I did roughly5km in an hour and today I went to Fitness Tone session and last night did my regular yoga weekly session.
I have also entered the City to Bay Fun Run, only hope the steep bush tracks have hardened me up for the 12 km event on Sunday.

I have been also working on a design commission for a life size bronze sculpture for the last three months. I fired the maquette in the kiln along with another piece which I want to paint with Casein paints. So the design piece should be finished by the end of the week and mailed off.

No comments: